Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ahhh, breakfast at midnight.

Coffee, hot buttered cornbread, and the Saturday 6.

1. Has your blog received more comments, less comments, or about the same number of comments this summer?
The same.

2. What do you think best explains your answer from the last question?
I have about the same number of readers. The only people I can think of that do significantly more websurfing and blogreading during the summer would be people that have the summer off, i.e. kids and teens. The blog of a 30-year-old who alternately acts like she's 5 and 65 probably doesn't get a lot of kid or teen traffic.

3. With the latest terror alert about liquid bombs on airplanes, are you any less likely to schedule a flight somewhere?
Not to any degree that matters.

4. Take the quiz: What color flower are you?
I'm a blue flower.

5. What was the last occasion in which you sent someone flowers?
I've never had occasion to send somebody flowers. I've bought little grocery-store bouquets for my mom a couple times [shut up, it was all I could afford], but I've never called a floral place and had something delivered. Flower-wise, pretty much everybody in my life falls into 3 categories:
~People who I don't know well enough for flowers to be appropriate [e.g. coworkers, doctor]
~People who grow their own flowers [e.g. Mom, B]
~People who have allergies or who I suspect have allergies [e.g. me, both brothers, several other friends]
Also, somehow I feel a little bit silly paying to the tune of $15-30 for something that grows in the ground, in the same way I feel silly buying bottled water when I already have access to clean water for free. So if I do buy flowers, it'll be something like long-stemmed roses or something that I'd never get otherwise because nobody I know grows them. Once in a great while I'll buy a bouquet for myself, but I have to keep them someplace where the pollen isn't gonna spread all over. Roses and daffodils generally don't bother me unless I'm right next to them. I love lilacs, but they sure don't like me.

Dammit, now I want an herb garden.

6. A hypothetical science question: A couple has a young child that they love very much. He has a rare genetic disorder that will be fatal unless doctors can use embryonic stem cells, and the only way to get them is for his parents to donate eggs and sperm so that a lab can create another embryo. Should the parents and the doctors be allowed to create an embryo to save the child's life?
In my opinion, if they want to, yes. [My position in a nutshell: If it doesn't have brain waves or other evidence of higher brain function, it's not human life. That is how they determine clinical death, and I think it's only logical that they should use the same criteria for the beginning of life as for the end.] But I'm not the president, so my opinion doesn't count for much except at election time--and sometimes not even then.

ugh. I don't know if it's West Nile, or a summer cold, or the fact that I work all week in a hot, humid, non-air-conditioned environment; but I just slept 9 hours, got up and had 3 cups of coffee, and I'm still bushed. Maybe I have what my doctor likes to call "that shit that's going around." Or maybe it's the fact that I had major surgery 2 months ago, and I've been going pell-mell with work, unpacking, and painting ever since they let me out of bed and my feet hit the floor. :P Silly Frida, instant recovery is for kids.

Time to go do dishes and try to wake up.

sbt/sbc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home