Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Thanks, I already 8.

Saturday 8 wants to know your restaurant habits.

1. i am dying to go to the restaurant el bulli, which is located in spain. it has an amazing, eclectic, nouveau menu that defies explanation. how far would you travel for a good meal?
About six feet, unless I have a lot of cash and am very tired of cooking. Then...still not very far.

2. i love greek food, and my favourite greek restaurant closes during the month of august as the family returns to greece for a vacation. i refuse to eat greek anywhere else. what restaurant in your area has your loyalty?

None. For one thing, I rarely eat out; for another thing, loyalty in money matters is overrated. Even if you hate capitalism, you're not helping anybody by eating shitty food at $7 a plate when you can get good food at $5 a plate. You're just getting screwed. So my loyalty to anybody who's offering anything for money lasts only as long as I think that what I'm getting is worth my money, not just for the dollar value, but for the size of the slice it takes out of my budget. The sole exceptions I make are for the health food store [I can get the stuff cheaper, but if she goes out of business, there's stuff I can't get anywhere else] and MallWart [I will only buy there what I can't get affordably somewhere else].

3. last night, i had a pint of guinness, which is my favourite beer. if you drink beer, what's your favourite? if not, what other beverage is your favourite to relax with?
No favourites, although I've rediscovered Earl Grey tea and have been drinking a lot of it.

4. when i am in canada, i love eating poutine. when travelling, is there a dish(es) that you like to eat when you're not at home?
Unseasoned chicken breast sandwiches, or subs. The latter is too much of a nuisance to make for one person; and the former is about the only thing I can eat at a restaurant [other than plain, unseasoned burgers].

5. a few months ago, i ate bad calamari (combined with some cherry bomb martinis), and got a horrible case of food poisoning for 24 hours. when was the last time you got food poisoning, and what made you sick?
I have no idea. I seem to remember getting sick a few years ago after eating at a restaurant, but I couldn't tell you what restaurant or what it was--probably chicken, since that's one of the few things I can eat without cooking it myself.

6. as i've gotten older, i can't eat rich foods anymore. i can still eat hot wings and guinness, but very rich chocolate cake or decadent desserts will absolutely murder my tummy. what food(s) wreak havoc on your gastro tract?
~All milk that's not treated with some kind of lactose neutralizer. [BTW: Those Lactaid pills? Crap.] For some reason, no other dairy seems to bother me; but milk gives me blinding stomach cramps and thermonuclear diarrhea.
~Anything deep-fried. Same effect as lactose.
~Anything with a lot of fiber but not much starch or fat. This includes most vegetables except potatoes, peas, corn, and carrots. It also seems to include most beans. It makes my stomach produce TONS of acid, which makes me feel like a] I'm cavernously hungry and b] rats are chewing on my guts.
~Black beans. For some reason, homemade beans all make me nauseous*, but black beans are the worst. Even canned black beans will make me sick to my stomach.
~Nearly all soda. Based on the ingredient labels I've read, it seems like anything with phosphoric acid [colas] or ester of wood rosin [most fruit-flavoured sodas] gives me an acid stomach. So my soda consumption is mostly limited to diet root beer, diet ginger ale, and diet cream soda. Hey, it still beats plain water.

7. i'm not a fan of italian food, with vietnamese food coming a close second on my "i don't wanna eat there" list. what type(s) of food do you not enjoy?

I don't know. It's more specific foods, not types of foods. Like, I'll eat Chinese, but tofu is fucking gross. [No, I'm not interested in learning how to prepare it "properly." Anything that gives me acne that bad is NOT good for me, no matter what the damn vegans say.] And I love Mexican, but only the fake Mexican stuff I make. The stuff in the stores and the restaurants is too full of sodium; and let's face it, ground beef has far too many chunks of bone and gristle in it to be anything but gross. At least the turkey people seem to be able to keep the bone-chip content in their ground products at a minimum.

8. as i mentioned before, greek food is my hands-down favourite type of cuisine. what is your favourite type/style of food?
I don't have one, partially because I'm too eclectic [read as "easily bored"] and partially because I can't eat genuine ethnic food anyway because I don't know any Greeks or Italians or Chinese people. And after 50 years of McDeath and all the other fast-food places grooming everybody's taste for MSG and artificial flavourings, I don't want to try a lot of new stuff at an ethnic or any other kind of restaurant. Gods only know what they're putting in there. I know 99% of the time, the waiters don't have a clue, and 75% of the time, the cook doesn't either. If I can't make it myself and use substitutions when necessary, I generally don't eat it.

Right now, my favourite foods are things that do not aggravate my TMJ.

Time for some more Jell-O!

same bitch time, same bitch channel...
__________
*I cannot keep silent any longer. I have seen this mentioned in too many places, and I must address it.

To all the pedantic stick-asses out there who claim that "nauseous" is not an acceptable synonym for "nauseated" and who just love to mock the protosimian stupidity of those who use the word in that way, I present you this entry from dictionary.com. Two dictionaries here, in addition to the M-W Collegiate Dictionary [Unabridged] in my living room, confirm that this is an acceptable usage. So not only are you just as anal as I am, you're wrong too, and you're using incorrect information as an excuse for your snobbery.

And to those even more insufferable pedants who insist that M-W is not a real dictionary and only the OED is an acceptable reference: What can I say? You're just dicks. It's Webster, for gods' sake. It's written by Encyclopaedia Britannica. What the hell is your problem? Put your creative writing degree away and go back to making my burger.

And yes, I'm fully aware that in throwing a fit over this, I've revealed myself to be just as much of a pedantic geek as the people I'm complaining about. Only difference is, I actually took the trouble to look it up instead of just believing everything that the other pedantic geeks told me, so I'm right and they're not. What's worse is that I'm not above snickering over them any more than they're above snickering over the people they think are wrong. Funny, that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home