Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Better to be poor than be a fat man in the eye of a needle...

Saturday 8 weighs in.

1. are you over- or under-weight, or "just right"?
I'm an oinker. Ironically, though, a couple years ago I weighed about 10 lbs. less than I do now [210], and I felt like I was getting too thin and wasting away. My body seems pretty comfy where it is, though; if I reduce my daily calorie intake by even 300 or 400 calories, I end up getting sick all the time no matter how many vitamins I take or how much rest I get. I think that's my body's way of saying, "Stop starving me, bitch." So finally I said, "Okay, I get it, here's your extra couple hundred calories."

2. what do you consider a "healthy weight" for yourself?
Healthy in what way? I'd really like to know, especially since more research is showing that your diet and exercise habits have way more to do with your overall health than the number on the scale. Fat = unhealthy? I don't believe it anymore. Junk food diet and sedentary lifestyle = unhealthy. Also, that BMI bullshit doesn't take your frame into account. If I was 210 and looked like the Kool-Aid Man, I'd grudgingly accept the "obese" label. But I'm not. I'm 210 and look like I'm 170. I'm a 45-39-49, and while that's still a size 20, those are damn good proportions for that weight. [/shameless self-aggrandizement]

That being said, I'd like to lose some more weight for two reasons: a] the bigger your size, the smaller the selection of affordable, comfortable clothes*; and b] I really need to take the pressure off my knees, because I don't want to have knee surgery if I can avoid it. How much weight I would have to lose in order to forestall knee surgery, I don't know. I do know that every pound I've lost has made a small difference [and the few pounds I gained back have made a difference in the other direction].

3. in your past, have you struggled with weight issues?
o_O

Ya think?

Actually, I've looked back on my eating patterns, and the only time I seem to gain weight is when I eat more sugar. Eating an extra burger or pizza or putting extra butter on my popcorn doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. So it looks like Atkins was onto something. I think if I really make a commitment to keep the sugar intake down, I'll drop what I gained. Also, spring will be coming soon, and I'll be less housebound. Maybe I'll even go back to taking walks.

4. give us an example of a comfort food for you.
Everything.

5. aside from eating when hungry, are you a 'snacker' when you are bored, stressed, or emotionally upset?
All of the above; but one of my greatest pigger triggers is cold. If I'm warm, I don't have much appetite; if I'm cold, I want to eat everything I see, even if I'm stuffed. I'm also weird in that the times when I haven't eaten in 7 or 8 hours are the times when I least want to eat, and when I'm starting to feel full, I feel a strong urge to keep stuffing myself. I have no idea why.

6. on nightline last night, the host was talking about models at fashion week being on "the nicotine diet." i've seen people GAIN weight from stopping smoking, but not smoking to lose. have you ever smoked to keep thin, or known anyone who has?
No and no. I have never smoked for any reason. I've heard that doctors used to tell people to take up smoking for their weight, though. Way to go, doc. I wonder if any of them are thinking back on that now and regretting it.

7. i've never been a dessert person, and rarely eat desserts; all of my girlfriends are the same way. do you regularly eat dessert when you go out to a restaurant or eat at home?
Semi-regularly. I like to have a little something after supper unless I've already eaten a lot. If I don't have any dessert items around, I just mix myself a glass of chocolate milk.

8. if someone close to you asked your advice on the best way to lose weight, what would you tell them?
I'd tell them they need to ask somebody who doesn't weigh 210 lbs. I'm pretty confident that nobody is ever going to ask me for weight-loss advice.

And that's about it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look at the vegetables in the freezer and then make some buttered popcorn.

same bitch time, same bitch channel...
__________
*Anybody that's thinking of mentioning Lane Bryant, zip it. I said AFFORDABLE. Their prices are okay, but nothing to do flips over. And unless you want to go to one of their shittily-stocked stores in which you're guaranteed not to find what you want, you have to pay out the ass, the yingyang, and every other hole on your body for shipping. The only sincere praise I have for them is that you can actually get cotton briefs--actual honest-to-Goddess BRIEFS--in colours without having to buy a white pair as part of the pack.

2 Comments:

Blogger lola h. said...

as someone who's seen EVERY sting concert since he went solo (that would be 1984; damn, i'm old), you have no idea how much i appreciate your post heading this week. ;)

8:38 PM  
Blogger Frida said...

:D I knew somebody would get that.

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home