Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Six.

Saturday 6.

1. You find out that you've just gotten a new job in a different state. Which room of your home will be the most difficult to get packed and why?
Probably either the living room or the kitchen, because the living room has the computer and a lot of furniture, and the kitchen has all the food, dishes and appliances. None of it would be TOO hard to move, since I just moved a few months ago and haven't unpacked everything.

2. Which room is most likely to contain the greatest number of items that you should throw away, but haven't, yet?
The studio.

3. What is your single greatest strength and single greatest weakness if you were to enter the dating scene tomorrow?
My greatest strength would be that I know myself pretty well. My greatest weakness would be that I don't want to date in the first damn place.

4. Take the quiz: What are your dating strengths and weaknesses?
I don't identify very well with any of the sexual orientations listed, since I'm not interested enough in men to consider myself straight for purposes of dating. But they didn't list genderqueer, bisexual or asexual as options [which I thought was majorly shitty given the century we live in, but that's neither here nor there], so I picked "female heterosexual" since that was the closest. After taking the quiz, I also have to wonder whether the quiz writer was ever exposed to any religion other than Christianity.

My strengths:

1. Intelligence - 85.7%
2. Independence - 57.1%
3. Financial Situation - 53.8%
4. Spirituality - 53.8%

My weaknesses:

1. Pessimism - 83.3%
2. Temper - 62.5%
3. Appearance - 55.6%
4. Shyness - 54.2%

5. What's the biggest surprise from this quiz's findings?
I'm surprised by this whole quiz and the assumptions it makes, and not in a good way. The sad part is that it uses the same kind of thinking and assumptions that are shared by a great many people.

Intelligence is not necessarily a plus--people with really high IQ's have a hard time finding other people on their intellectual level. People SAY they want somebody intelligent, but what they really want is somebody as intelligent as THEY are. Just try having an IQ about 30 points above your date, and actually showing it. Believe me, it goes down like a nun's knickers. Independence is more likely to be a plus if you're a man, since a lot of people still expect women to be simpering dishrags demure and deferential. Spirituality is not necessarily a plus--what, atheists have worse relationships or something? Please. Pessimism and temper are only minuses for some people. Also, the pessimism score is based mostly on one question which was a "glass is half-full" question and did not give an option for people who think the glass is neither half full nor half empty. I said "false" so it assumed I was a pessimist. And if having a temper was bad for dating, Norwegians would be long extinct. As for appearance--boy, I don't know what to say to that. I try to be clean and decently groomed; beyond that, I just look how I look. I'm not here to impress anybody. If you don't like how I look, then at least you won't be trying to grab my tits.

Whoever wrote this has a pretty damn black & white view of people. Unfortunately, a good portion of the population has the same kind of view and the same standards as the quiz writer. So if you lived up to those standards, you'd get more dates. If everybody lived up to those standards, everybody would get more dates. And Earth would be the most boring goddamn place in the entire universe. No thanks.

6. Would you ever go out on a blind date with someone you'd met online if you'd never talked to them through any other method than email?
Not without a black belt in karate and a can of extra-strength mace. And you know what? I wouldn't even do it then, because if the person attacked me and I had to defend myself, people wouldn't be asking why that person isn't in jail; they'd be asking ME what I was thinking, going on a blind date like that with a near-total stranger when I knew full well how dangerous it was. I don't need the rape risk, and I sure the hell don't need the victim-blaming.

***

Crap. I was gonna take a shower and go check out the Unitarian church around here, but I have a headache. And if I shower now, I will have to either go with wet hair and get sick [it's 47 degrees out, and I already have a sore throat], or blow-dry it and end up looking like I stapled Brillo pads all over my head.

Gahhh...

sbt/sbc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home