Name:
Location: United States

Friday, October 13, 2006

Late memes.

Curious as a Cat [about five days late].

Finish this sentence: "I have been blessed because _______________ ."
uh...I was born into circumstances that allowed me to be a freer, more self-actualised human being than is possible for most people in most periods of history.

Why is the sky blue?
Because if it was green, you wouldn't know where to stop mowing. Everybody knows that.

***

Booking Through Thursday [about two days late].

1. Do you read short stories?
Not usually. I've read some and enjoyed them, but I don't especially gravitate toward them.

2. Why or why not?
I have a backlog of literally dozens of books to read, and none of them happen to be books of short stories.

3. What do you like and dislike about short stories?
I like that the shorter format allows the writer to present ideas in a way that isn't drawn out over four hundred pages. In a novel, it's hard to walk that fine line between losing the message in the details of the story and bashing the reader over the head with it every ten pages. In a short story, you can present an idea, explore it a little, and leave the reader to ponder it, without having to build up a big story around it that might obscure the idea. The trouble with this, though, is that some stories should be expanded and told as novels, but the short story format prohibits it; so you're left with this unopened bud of a great idea, which is disappointing. Of course, some stories aren't that complicated, so they're better off as interesting short stories than as draggy, boring novels.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

same bitch time, same bitch channel...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home