Name:
Location: United States

Friday, December 22, 2006

Booking Through Thursday.

1. Any favorite holiday books or stories that you like to read and reread this time of year? And if so, why? What makes it so special to you? Favorites from your childhood? (This is a perfectly good time of year for picture books--it's like watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special. Adults can "do" cartoons in December.)
WTF? Adults can do cartoons any time of year they want. I seriously doubt the Cartoon Police are going to bust into my apartment while I'm watching "Slayers" DVD's and demand to see my ID as proof that I'm under 18. Also, the most compelling argument that adults can, do, and should do cartoons: Retarded Animal Babies. [So very not safe for work. Or church, or daycare, or anyplace else, for that matter...]

ANYWAY. Books. We were on the topic of favourite holiday stories. No, I don't have any. After seeing Patrick Stewart's horrifying MST3K-worthy version of "A Christmas Carol," I really can't get excited about that story anymore. The rest of them...eh. Character goes through life-changing experience and gets holiday spirit/discovers true meaning of Christmas/&c &c. Can't I just read Sandman comics instead?

2. (Psst. You can talk about favorite movies or tv specials, too, if you want, even though they're not about reading. You know, just this once.)

I think I covered part of that in 1. I've seen the Grinch and Frosty and Rudolph and all those awful things so many times...no. No thank you. The only one I could still maybe watch without having a screaming fit would be the Grinch, and that's mainly because it's a Chuck Jones cartoon, because Jones was a genius. So no. I've been hearing the same holiday music and seeing the same holiday specials for 30 damn years, and I'm just counting my lucky stars that I didn't breed so I won't have to sit through another 15-20 years of Frosty the Goddamn Snowman.

Okay, I could sit through the Beavis and Butthead Christmas special. That was sorta chuckleworthy.

I used to say to my dad every Christmas, "Don't you want to come in and watch [insert name of holiday special here] with me?" And he'd always say no, and I couldn't understand why, because to a ten-year-old, those things RULE. Now I understand all too well.

***

Thursday Threesome.

::Plenty of time::

Onesome: Plenty-- of time, take a deep breath. Overnight/Saturday delivery could work for you... So could a trip a few hundred miles away if you're into shopping on Sunday! How are you doing? Do you have it together?

Um. No.

Twosome: of-- all the states, I'm hearing the worst reports from Ohio! It has no snow! No snow, no Christmas! What's to be done? Is it looking like the normal Christmas weather there for you?
No. It's about 25 degrees above the average temp for this day and location.

Threesome: Time--Time? Good grief, the 24th is days away, and most men haven't even awakened a sense of urgency as yet . Is anyone done, finished, wrapped and resting?
I'd have to see more evidence before I'll accept the stereotype of men not shopping until the day before Christmas. And no, I am not done. I am treating Christmas like income tax returns--as long as everything's postmarked on or before the deadline, it counts as good. So I'll probably be mailing cards and presents tomorrow. If this makes me an honorary man, let me know so I can start scratching myself in public. :P

***

Happy Yule/Christmas/Festivus/Whatever, everybody...

same bitch time, same bitch channel...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home