Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

mmmm...

...hot chocolate and memes.

Curious as a Cat.

Imagine you're in a terrible depression. What one of your current possessions would best help you endure it?
My sense of humour.

What kind of uniform would you like to wear?
None. I can't think of a single role that involves a uniform that I would do voluntarily.

***

Tuesday's Tales.

More about Old Man Winter…

* What is your favorite winter memory?

This is one of the few things I actually have a favourite of. In my senior year in high school, we had to do a paper on the Civil War. While I was working on this, we had a huge ice storm that knocked out power for something like a week and a half. Luckily, my parents had some old-time oil lamps, and they hung these on the walls for light. So I got a little extra perspective on that historical period by living in [sorta] similar conditions for a little while. I was glad when the power came back on, but in the meantime it was kinda neat to study history by the light of an antique oil lamp and cook over a kerosene heater [not the same as a wood stove, but much closer to it than an electric range].

* What do you think or feel when you walk through freshly fallen snow?
I think it's a shame that I have to walk through it and spoil it, but I might as well because somebody else will walk or drive through it anyway. And at the same time it's kinda neat.

* What are three things that you enjoy most about the winter season?
Christmas vacation, new snowfall [but only if I don't have to shovel it or drive in it], and watching natural selection at work in the form of all the nitwits who fall through the ice even though a] they've been warned it's too thin and b] anybody with a reasonable amount of experience with ice could look at the temps for the past week or two and know that it can't possibly have frozen deep enough to be safe.

* How do the cold winter weather and shorter days affect your mood or outlook on life?
I want to sleep more. And by about mid-February or so, I'm really really fucking sick of clouds. [A short note about Minnesota in February: If you counted on your fingers the number of times the sun showed itself in February, chances are you would only have to take off one mitten.] I will get a little depressed, but it's only partially the lack of light; mostly it's that you can't fucking go outside for more than 2 or 3 minutes without getting frostbite. I think that's why people snowmobile, even though it damages the environment, terrifies the wildlife, and annoys everybody in earshot--if they didn't get outside and do something, anything, they'd strangle somebody.

* Why do you look forward to the winter season?
Same reason you look forward to being caned. Oh, you don't? Well, there you go. In any case, I think I answered that pretty thoroughly in the previous question.

***

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and try to prevent Christmas from kicking my ass.

same bitch time, same bitch channel...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home