Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Happy Everything

Saturday 6.

1. How many Christmas Cards did you receive from people you hadn't sent cards to, after the "mailing deadline?" Did you send a card anyway?
Deadline, schmeadline. I got a card from my parents. Why they sent it through the mail instead of just giving it to me, I'm not sure, since I see them like three times a week; but whatever. I haven't given them a card. I consider cards a stand-in for presents [if I don't have the money or don't know the person well enough], so I generally don't send cards to people I give presents to.

Ooh, shit, I did get another card from somebody, and I forgot to send her one. I'm going to go visit her soon, though, so I'll give it to her then.

2. At this point, do you weigh more or less than you did on January 1, 2006? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
I don't know. I think I weigh about the same.

3. When the clock strikes Midnight on New Year's, will you be at home, at a party, or somewhere else?
Home. New Year's Eve is a snarling, deadly clusterfuck of drunk drivers, many of whom are not accustomed to night driving; and I value my life, so I stay home.

4. Take the quiz: What's your holiday stress level?

It said it was "moderate." It doesn't sound like it thinks it's moderate, though; check out the nagfest it laid on me. "The holidays sometimes stress you out, but mostly because they wear you down. Take it easy! You can have a fun holiday without running yourself ragged."

Duh, I can? I suppose I can, if I want to, you know, totally ignore everybody else. You run yourself ragged because you're doing nice things for people; and you do nice things for people because it helps maintain your social support network. So yeah, I could just sit on my ass and eat cookies instead of making presents and sending cards. I'd have a great holiday, but then the rest of my year would suck weenie because everybody I cared about would either forget about me totally or think I was an ingrate. I'd rather be stressed out for 2 weeks out of the year than be lonely the whole damn year.

[Maybe I should stop doing the quizzes, because I'm such a bad sport about them; but making fun of them is so entertaining...]

5. Have you ever been the designated driver at a party or outing with your friends?
No. I avoid people when they're drinking, and so should everybody else. Humans are stupid enough when they're sober.

6. Have you ever taken the keys and driven home a friend that you felt was too drunk to drive? If not, do you think you would attempt to if that situation ever arose?
See 5. If it came down to it, I'd take the keys, but only to save the other people on the road. If drunk drivers would only kill themselves, I'd be happy to sit back and watch natural selection take care of those who are too psychologically defective to plan for their own safety.

***

Saturday 8.

1. i'm HOME! it was a long, two-week trip, but i'm back Stateside. what was the last travel experience you had?
What counts as a travel experience? I pretty much just go to work, the store, and appointments.

2. i read 3 books in a week. what was the last book you completed?
It was Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. Depressing, but thought-provoking.

3. i saw 6 or 7 movies in the last two weeks. what was the last movie that you watched?
It was Flags of Our Fathers. Gory, but good. Eastwood's a good director, and Spielberg added just the right touch.

4. my flight was 7.5 hours long to and from iceland. what was your last flight, and where was it to/from?
I don't answer plane questions anymore. I've only been on one plane ride, and if my readers have to hear about it one more time, they're going to de-link me.

5. i have decided to skip christmas cards this year due to the fact that i worked my 2 jobs right up until i left for iceland. did you send out christmas/hanukkah/new year's cards this year?
Yes, I did. I still have some more to send out. So they're gonna be late. Oh n0es.

6. i have been sick with a stomach bug i picked up in iceland since wednesday. what was the last illness that you had?
I have a cold right now.

7. while in iceland, Bank of America LOCKED my debit card ... twice. i'd let them know that i was travelling, but they decided to lock it anyway due to the fact that no one was smart enough to put the required code on my account. i now have to get back $100 in cellphone bills from them that was NOT necessary as i'd taken care of my responsibilities before i'd left. when was the last time you were 'screwed' by a corporation/service?
Well, the student loan consolidation people have been dicking me around for six months; does that count?

8. i am not sure what i'm doing for christmas and have no idea where i'm spending it or if i'm going to be travelling that day, etc. what are your christmas plans if you celebrate? if not, what are you doing on the 25th?
You get the prize for being the one millionth person to ask me that. I'm spending it with my parents.

***

Have a hairy Christmas and a slappy New Year, everybody. And Yule, and Kwanzaa, and Festivus, and everything else. Hell, happy everything. That way I don't have to remember the other holidays.

Be safe, and if you've been naughty this year, you better hope Santa hits your house before he runs out of coal. I'm leaving him bran muffins and Metamucil to help him along.

same bitch time, same bitch channel...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home